A flavoursome soup with a kick - serves 6
- 40g (1 1/2 oz) butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 700 g (1 1/2 lb) parsnips, peeled and finely diced
- 5 ml (1 level tsp) curry powder
- 1.4 litres (2 1/2 pints) chicken stock
- 2.5 ml (1/2 level tsp) ground cumin
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) fresh single cream
- paprika to garnish
- Heat the butter in the base of a large pan and fry the onion and parsnip together for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder and cumin and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for about 45 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Leave to cool slightly, then using a perforated draining spoon place the vegetables in a blender, add a little stock and puree until smooth.
- Return puree to the pan. Adjust seasoning, add the fresh cream and reheat to serving temperature but do not boil.
- Serve sprinkled with paprika.