Below are 9 allotment-related questions. You need to find the answers and then fit them into the grid. If you have done it properly, the letters in the shaded boxes can be re-arranged to make the name of a well-known garden plant.
When you have filled it all in, send an email to
with the subject Summer Quiz and include your name, site and the answer to the plant anagram.
On the 1st September we will choose one successful entrant from each site as the winner.
1. This Gardener's World presenter has been off our screens this year because of illness. What is their surname? (2,5)
2. What is the scientific name for this allotment pest? (5,5)
3. Charles Dowding is well known for this style of gardening. (2,3)
4. This is an example of what type of plant? (7)
5. This type of tool sounds like something a well-known fictional character might use. (3)
6. This is an example of what type of plant? (5)
7. A sticky waterlogged soil lacking in oxygen, typically grey to blue in colour. (4)
8. What is the common name of this plant? (7)